What is this conference about? This conference is about MSU students’ learning abroad experiences.
We define “learning abroad” to include: MSU students’ experiences in a study abroad program, international
students’ experiences at MSU, and U.S. students’ experiences with international students at MSU. The
conference is designed to give voice to students’ stories through a variety of creative media so that fellow
students and MSU faculty and staff may better understand the learning abroad experience.
Why would you want to participate? Here are a few great reasons why you should be involved:
• Gain valuable experience. Employers and graduate schools value conference presentations
• Take time to reflect on our learning abroad experience
• Share your story so that others may learn
• Connect with other students
Examples of presentations from last year’s conference:
• A Crossroad between Aspiration and Duty
• Ojos Nuevos: Seeing the New Challenges of Global Medicine in Peru
• The Greece They Don’t Show You
• Understanding Complicity in America While Abroad
How do you get involved? Get involved in three simple steps:
1. Write a proposal. Submit your proposal through the Learning Abroad Conference Proposal Form by
September 30st, 2019. Proposals will be reviewed by MSU faculty, staff, and students. You will be notified of the
decision no later than October 11th.
2. If your proposal is accepted, you will work with a conference mentor to focus and refine
your draft presentation.
3. Present! All presentations have 10 minutes, including group presentations.