“For these are all of our children, we will all profit or pay for what they become” –James Baldwin
Michigan State University’s English Education faculty stand in solidarity with the Detroit youth and their families who brought a lawsuit against the state of Michigan for a basic right to literacy. As literacy researchers and teacher educators, we are offering this free virtual critical literacies program because we believe that Detroit youth deserve more than a basic literacy education.
- Participants must be Detroit residents and attend a Detroit public or charter school.
- Participants are only allowed to take one critical literacy course.
- Participants will need Internet access via smartphone, tablet, or computer to participate in most of the courses. Access to zoom will be provided.
- Books and course materials will be provided free of cost. Details about “course supply” pickup date and location will be sent after registration.
- Registration closes on July 15th or once courses are full.
- Register for courses here: http://bitly.ws/8XGF